Daniel Magin’s Weblog

My life in the Developers World

Tiburon: VCL DB Unicode Application with InterBase 2007

Everybody is talking about Tiburon (the next Delphi Version) and the new Unicode Support. Today i play for you with the Unicode Support and Interbase 2007. So let us quick build a InterBase Database and a Browser in Unicode.

 

First i create a new database in the InterBase with the following Script. I use in this example the ServerCharSet UTF8.

/******************************************************************************/

/*            Generated            2008.02.19 17.07.2008 16:21:29            */

/******************************************************************************/

SET SQL DIALECT 3;

SET NAMES UTF8;

CREATE DATABASE ‘YourIpOurComputerName:C:\unicode_data.ib’

USER ‘SYSDBA’ PASSWORD ‘masterkey’

PAGE_SIZE 8192

DEFAULT CHARACTER SET UTF8;

/******************************************************************************/

/*                                   Tables                                   */

/******************************************************************************/

CREATE TABLE TBL_TEST (

    ID    INTEGER NOT NULL,

    TEXT  VARCHAR(100)

);

 

/******************************************************************************/

/*                                Primary Keys                                */

/******************************************************************************/

 

ALTER TABLE TBL_TEST ADD CONSTRAINT PK_TBL_TEST PRIMARY KEY (ID);

 

 

After this i create in Tiburon a new VCL Application.

 

 

 

 

 

 

After this i create a new shortcut in the Datanbase Manager

 

 

 

 

 

Give a Name for the new InterBase Connection

 

 

 

Modify the Connection for the Parameters

 

 

 

 

 

Cause we like to use Interbase with DBXpress we add in the uses are the Unit DBXInterbase.

 

 

Now we are adding on the TForm:

          SQLConnection

          SimpleDataSet

          DataSource

          DBNavigator

          DBGrid

 

 

 

 

On SQLConnection we change in the Objecinspector the Properties

          ConnectionName -> MyUnicode

          add in Params the servercharset UTF8

          set LoginPromt to False (if you like)

 

 

 

On your SimpleDataSet1 change the Properties:

          SQLConnection to your SQLConnection1

          DataSet->CommandText to select * from TBL_TEST

          Active-> True

 

 

Change also

          DataSource1: DataSet -> SimpleDataSet1

          DBNavigator1 & DBGrid 1: DataSource -> DataSource1

 

To automatic update  to the InterBase Database add in the SimpleDataSet1 Event OnPost the following code:

 

 

Now let us save all, compile and start:

 

 

Ok let’s add some text. To get some fun characters (unicode) you can start the windows Program CharMap

 

 

 

 

 

You see the VCL works fine with the Combination Unicode and InterBase 2007.

 

Great Works CodeGear!!!

 

Regards Daniel Magin.

 

 

 

Advertisements

July 17, 2008 - Posted by | Embarcadero (CodeGear) stuff

3 Comments »

  1. […] Tiburon: VCL DB Unicode Application with InterBase 2007 […]

    Pingback by Serge’s Technology View » Blog Archive » So it began: Tiburon in the news - July 21, 2008 | July 21, 2008 | Reply

  2. Hi,

    sehr interessanter Artikel, nur irgendwie werden bei mir die Bildchen nicht angezeigt, nur kleine schwarze Balken.

    MfG

    Comment by Jan-Oliver Ohloff | June 17, 2009 | Reply

    • ups i changing server is not so easy 🙂

      thanks
      it’s now fixed

      Comment by dmagin | June 22, 2009 | Reply


Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: